Monday, February 21, 2011

Novel 5: Aloft by Chang-rae Lee

Once again I have managed to read a novel that is based entirely around the protagonist and his interactions with the world around him. Instead of a plot. As a result, I'm not really sure what I can write about here.

Oh, I didn't hate Aloft. Far from it -- I was caught up in Chang-rae Lee's prose, and I read it in two days. My problem is that I never know how to discuss books or stories that are not plot-heavy.

Lee's first novel, Native Speaker, while primarily about characters, had great loads of plot and industrial espionage and corrupt New York City politics. I know how to talk about that.

His second novel, A Gesture Life, was a character study, against settings both larger-than-life (WW2 Burma) and not so (suburban New York).

Aloft takes place entirely among the denizens of Long Island, and their lives and relationships and illnesses, and --

And as much as I was immersed in Lee's writing, I don't have the faintest idea what to say about it.

No comments: